Some of the wisest and most astute amongst you will have noticed that last week we celebrated the beginning of a new year. And with a new year comes new books and the surrounding song and dance we bookworm do in anticipation. As part of that dance I write them all down, tell anyone who will listen how excited I am for their release, ogle at the cover, stalk the arc reviews, snatch up the novel on release day and leave it to gather dust until 2025 when I finally maybe read it. So here we go, my 2025 reading list.
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
1. Having absolutely adored The Hunger Games, tearing through it in mere days at the height of GCSE stress, I am dead excited for it’s prequel. Which games will it feature? Who was president before Snow? Will we have District 13?!
The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
2. Depending on how much you’ve been following this blog you may know I um slightly love VE Schwab and everything she’s ever written. So yes I’m a tad desperate to pounce on her new novel, coming out this year.
A Heart so Fierce and Broken
3. Will Grey ever go home? Is Rhen still super moody? And what mess will Harper get them all into this time?? These are the questions I have as I anticipate the sequel to A Curse so Dark and Lonely.
One of Us is Next
4. Oh my, One of Us Is Lying completely blew me away. I will admit the blurb of this one didn’t sound so great but I didn’t think I’d like One of Us is Lying as much as I did. I’m going in open minded.
Queen of Volts
5. I am semi cheating popping this one on my list since I haven’t read the Ace of Shades sequel (arg library system why isn’t it available?!). But I am still excited for this series and have great plans to read them both this year.
6. I’m never sure about Samantha Shannons books. I hear great things but I’m always put off by something. With Priory it’s the size, with The Bone Season it felt pretentious. This is the fourth Bone Season and I suppose it’s somewhat here as a placeholder for maybe I’ll read the others in 2020.
Children of Vengeance and Virtue
7. I’m cheating a tad, this novel came out in December but I’m adding it to the list because I was in Australia for its release and didn’t get back until the new year. Bring on Zelie, Amari and their exciting magic system.
The Starless Sea
8. Again, came out at the end of 2019 but I’m going to count it. I loved The Night Circus and can’t wait to see what else this author can do.
The Notorious Virtues
9. Alwyn Hamilton will always be a favourite author of mine. Rebel of the Sands was a stunning series and I can’t wait to see what she comes out with next.
X. We are in for a treat bookworms because Karen McManus has not one but two books out next year. Given how much I utterly adored One of Us is Lying and Two Can Keep a Secret I’m dead excited for both her new releases.
Let’s Compare Notes
So there you have it! The releases I’m looking out for this 2020. Which novels are you excited for this year? Leave a link or comment below!
I’ll have my review of Nocturna up at some point soon, otherwise you’ll be able to meet another bookworm over here on Friday.